Causes of Acne
- Acne causes blemishes when the pores are clogged and blocked by excess oil, bacteria, and dead skin cells. Pimples form when these clogged pores become infected and inflamed. This infection causes a white pus-filled tip on the top of the infected pore area. A person might have multiple types of acne at the same time.
- Excess sebum production during puberty or the menstruation cycle can cause hormonal acne. Chin acne is also common due to hormonal activity.
- Pimples often affect the face, back (also known as backne), chest, and shoulders. There are many sebaceous glands in these areas, making these areas prone to acne. People also started suffering from mask acne or “maskne” during the Covid pandemic.
Types of Acne
Whiteheads are also known as closed comedones. Whiteheads are common acne visible as white acne blemishes covered by a thin layer of skin. This type of acne generally does not lead to scarring. Whiteheads are also known as closed comedones acne.
Blackheads appear on the skin as small bumps due to clogged pores. This mild type of acne has a black or dark colour. Blackheads have an open pore and this expose the whitehead to air. The whiteheads become darker due to oxidation and present as black or dark acne. Blackheads are also known as open comedonal acne.
Papule acne is a tiny raised red bump beneath the skin’s surface. This type of acne does not have visible pus.
Pustule acne looks like bumps that are larger in size and the center of the infected pore has whitish or yellowish pus. This type of acne is hard, red, and inflamed, and it is painful when touched.
This type of ache is chronic acne. Nodule or nodular acne affects a larger area, it is red and inflamed with hard painful lumps firmly entrenched in the skin. Clogged pores damage the deeper tissues and cells in the underlying skin. This can lead to dark spots and extensive scarring of the skin.
Acne scars form when papules, pustules, or nodule acne get inflamed and infected. The follicle walls are damaged when infected pores burst and this causes significant damage to the skin and scars form.
The Different Stages of Acne
Mild Acne Vulgaris
There is only a small concentration of pimples and blackheads on the skin, usually with no inflammation. This is also not a daily occurrence.
Moderate Acne Vulgaris
Moderate acne vulgaris occurs more frequently than mild acne vulgaris. Moderate acne consists of whiteheads, blackheads, pustules, papules, and pimples on the skin. There may be some redness or inflammation around the affected pore area.
Moderate to Severe Acne Vulgaris
The skin is red, inflamed, irritated, and painful during this stage, and cysts, papules, and nodules might also be present.
Severe Acne Vulgaris
Severe acne vulgaris is very painful and presents numerous pustules, cysts, papules, and nodules in the inflamed and infected areas on a person’s face or body.
Izumi Aesthetics Customised Acne Treatment
Not everybody’s acne condition is the same and it cannot be treated as such. Acne is a skin condition and it can have complex underlying causes. Hormones, genetics, and stress can contribute to acne, but it is important to identify the root causes of an acne outbreak and address them.
The first step in a customised acne treatment programme is assessment. A trained professional from Izumi Aesthetics will assess the affected area. A diagnosis will be made once the root causes of the acne have been established. A treatment programme based on medical principles will be recommended for the different affected areas. This treatment plan will introduce the right products for the affected area during the treatment programme. This customised multi-modal approach can deliver an effective treatment plan for individuals with acne problems.
Benefits of Acne
- Improves skin vitality and glow
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduces yellow and dull skin complexion
- Replenish skin
- Moisture level
- Acne scarring reduction
- Natural facelift
- Reduce inflation
- Calming skin
- Replenish skin collagen and hydration
- Repairs deep skin layers
- Boost skin radiance and glow